Saturday, May 05, 2007

 

The squeeze is on

A cursory look at this week's local election results nationally have led me to believe the following:
As I am keen to stress, this is based more on gut feeling than a formal analysis. It would make a very interesting project for someone with more time than I to see if this hypothesis stands up to scrutiny.

Nevertheless, I feel I am starting to get a picture emerging - that of tactical voting against the incumbent Government based on a "kick 'em out" mentality. In places like Sheffield, "vote Lib Dem to beat Labour" has been a very potent message - even in Conservative-held Council seats. Presumably in other authorities, the Tories have benefitted from the self-same phenomenon.

In 1997, we benefitted enormously from this sort of voting - and there is surely an opportunity of equal magnitude available this time. We must take care though to defend what we have in terms of Parliamentary seats against a sadly inevitable Tory revival.

There are two important - and seemingly contradictory - lessons to learn from this:
My other - again, untested - hypothesis is that we have done significantly better in the 20% of Parliamentary seats that are important for the next general election than the remaining 80% of the country. But that remains to be seen.

Whether I'm right or wrong though, let's not forget the most important habit of all - winning! Why are you sitting here reading this rubbish? Get out there and recruit members, motivate your candidates, plan literature schedules, and sow next year's crop of Lib Dem stakeboards. We have elections to win!

Comments:

YFxeQ6 The best blog you have!

 
fHaAr6 Good job!

 
Hello all!

 
actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

 
Hello all!

 
Good job!

 
actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

 
Wonderful blog.

 
Magnific!

 
Nice Article.

 
Thanks to author.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Printed (hosted) by Blogger. Published and promoted by S Ayris on behalf of J Taylor (Liberal Democrat), all at 7 Park Grange Croft, Sheffield S2 3QJ. The views expressed are those of the party, not the service provider.

Blogging Liberal Britain
Since 2006